In June 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note software was upgraded to Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich). A number of very interesting features came with this upgrade. After using the Galaxy Note for more than 8 months and with the additional features of the new Android version I have revised some of my earlier recommendations. This blog will bring you up to date regarding the way I use my Galaxy Note every day.
The new Android features
Regarding the new Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) upgrade, I have added three YouTube hyperlinks that cover the subject visually. They are:
Galaxy S3 (Same operating system “Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)” as the Galaxy Note.)
How to upgrade to Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
To keep your phone updated with new software versions, you have to configure every application you download for automatic update, if you are requested when installing. Also, check the application settings to set it up for automatic upgrade.
The Samsung device upgrade program is called “Samsung Kies”. You can download it on your computer from the Samsung web site. Once downloaded, follow the instructions to connect your Samsung device (phone/tablet) to your computer using your phone USB cable. The Kies software will detect it and tell you if there is a newer version of software you can download. Just follow the instructions.
Changes from my original recommendations
- No need for “App Folder Pro” anymore. Android 4.0.4 offers multiple screens that can be dedicated to the apps you want to regroup.
- Download and use “FoxFi” to make your phone a WiFi Hotspot to connect other devices, such as a laptop or your mate iPad, to the internet using your phone data account. This is a nice alternative to “PdaNet” for tethering to accomplish the same.
- Using “Dropbox” has become very important to always work on the latest version of your documents on file.
- I now use “eWallet GO”, which uses Dropbox, instead of “eWallet”, because this way you don’t have to synchronize. Dropbox does it for you.
- Download “Speed Test” to check the speed of your internet connection via WiFi or your phone data service provider.
- Make sure you have the new S Pen “S Note” software, installed or download it from Samsung. You can draw a square and it will turns it into a perfect square, you can edit and do a lot more than the previous S Pen Note.
- If you don’t have an ePrint WiFi printer, get one. I have installed one and all the house devices, computers, phones, pads can use it. For HP ePrinters, download the “HP ePrint Home&Biz” on your Galaxy Note phone.
I hope these few advices will help you take full advantage of your Samsung Galaxy Note. Shortly I will publish on the NEW Galaxy Note 2.