IMPORTANT: Please make sure to read Part 1 of this series FIRST in order to understand who can benefit from reading this series of articles and how to go about it. To get to Part 1, just click on the following hyperlink: 12.01-Part 1-Introduction on the unparalleled functionality of the Samsung Galaxy Note products-2014-11-30
What will you learn reading this article?
This functions and settings video covers the 10 best features available on the NEW Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Plus learn about 10 hidden tips and tricks.
- The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 quality build and multiple colors
- Heart rate monitor sensor
- Taking selfies pictures using the heart rate monitor sensor
- Using the home button as a fingerprint sensor
- The Samsung Quad HD Super AMOLED high definition display quality
- Unique S Pen functionality and sensitivity
- High performance processors and play features
- Multi-tasking to run multiple Apps simultaneously
- The rear camera comes with autofocus, image stabilization and a flash
- Excellent 7MP resolution wide angle front camera
- Longer battery life, super-fast charging, ultra-power saving mode and easily changeable battery: ALL greatly extend the Note 4 usable time, so that you never run out of power
- The S Health fitness App
- Infrared blaster to use your phone as a universal remote
- Learn how to share your Wi-Fi with other devices
- Learn how to use the S Pen like a mouse for Link preview
- Learn how to use Quick Shortcuts on your keyboard productively
- Use the Accessibility function to be warned if the baby cries or the doorbell rings while you’re listening to music
- Activate a Black & White screen and use less battery power
- Use Popup Apps in Multi windows
- Use the Accessibility/Dexterity and Interaction Assistant menu
- Use Smooth motion for recording videos
- Learn how to download more Modes and Filters for professional quality recordings
- Learn how to get the definition of a word and/or translate it into another language
Part 6 on the unparalleled functionality of the Samsung Galaxy Note
This article is Part 6 of the Samsung Galaxy Note products functionality series’. Each Part describes a different set of functions, so that the whole series covers most of the important functionality available.
PLEASE NOTE: the remarks from this point up to the start of the video are the same for Part 2 to 7. Therefore, if you just read one of these articles and remember the cautionary remarks that follow, you can skip reading them again and go directly to viewing the video.
There are different ways of viewing the following video:
- TO GET AN OVERVIEW of the different functions presented and to judge, for yourself, how important these powerful easy-to-use functions are, I recommend that you get a drink, sit back comfortably and view sequentially ALL the videos in the series from beginning to end.
- TO LEARN the functions presented: view the video, function by function, until you understand each one. Use the title, the description and the “Reference” column to move the cursor to each specific function you want to learn and/or implement.
- TO REFRESH YOUR UNDERSTANDING of specific functions. If you happen to forget how to use a specific function and need to refresh your understanding: use the title, the description and the “Reference” column to move the cursor to the specific function you want to refresh your understanding of.
VIDEO NAVIGATION INSTRUCTIONS: Below you will find: (1) the list of the Galaxy Note features presented in this video along with (2) the “Reference” location of each function presented (the first number refers to the video Part #, followed by the elapse time on the video) and, (3) the description of how relevant this feature is and why use it. Use the elapse time “Reference” to control the video meter and move the cursor to the beginning of the description of the function you want to watch. The function descriptions on this specific video are for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 operating under Android KitKat and customized and enhanced by Samsung. Most of the functions demonstrated on this video are available, with small variations, on all the following Samsung Galaxy Note models: Note 1, Note II, Note 3, Note 3 Neo, Note 4, Note Edge, Note 8.0, Note 10.1, Note 10.1/2104 Edition, Note Pro 12.2, running the latest Android version available. NOTE: Certain earlier Samsung Galaxy Note models, such as the Note 1 and II, and certain tablets do not offer all the functions presented here. You will notice this if the settings parameters presented here do not display on your Note screen. Make sure that all the available settings parameters are activated before concluding that a function is not available. FURTHERMORE: it would seem that some features offered by Samsung are not supported by my phone provider, and that would be why some menu items do not show up on my Settings menus. This is something I have to pursue with my phone provider. Finally, make sure to install Android Lollypop version 5 that should be available shortly for download on recent Note products.
- Please note that the Settings menus may vary from one Samsung Note Android version to the next AND from one Samsung Note model to the next.
- Also know that there is a very useful Settings Search function available when you first enter Settings.
- When you start typing or handwriting a Search, a scrolling selection list will appear.
- Select the item that you’re looking for when it first appears in the scrollable list. Note that you only need to type or handwrite until you see what you are looking for appear and select it.
- I strongly suggest that you mostly use this very useful Settings Search function instead of navigating the Settings menus, as you may see done on the videos by experienced Note users. NOTE: this Settings Search function does not always find the setting you may be looking for, mostly if it involves an add-on like the Google keyboard, for example. In such cases you have to navigate the Search the traditional way.
- Therefore, to make things simple, I will mostly use the Settings Search function in this series of articles.
- Following the word SEARCH, in capital letters, I will write the text to search, in italic, for example: pen detection. Therefore, the expression will look like this: SEARCH pen detection.
After searching the internet, I found a selection of videos that I propose below, covering specific features of the Note 4. As you know, there are tons of technology products videos offered on YouTube. Very few are worth anything. There is a lot of none sense on most videos, because most reviewers have little or no business background, so they assess smartphones from the seat of their pans. Some others try to be politically correct and say generalities because they may expect something in return? I don’t know. When people don’t know what to evaluate smartphones on, they create all kinds of none sense criteria’s for the sake of it! This is why, after each comments you hear, ask yourself the question: SO WHAT? It this meaningful for the objective I pursue? Is there meaningful value for me in relation with to the reasons I want to buy this product for? If the answer is NO most of the time, then you know what that person’s opinion is worth to you?
So be critical in selecting product review videos. Make sure they are produced by knowledgeable, business oriented and serious individuals.
The videos offered below are the best I could find for the subject at stake. This does not mean that parts of these videos do not fall in the concerns expressed above. So don’t forget to ask yourself the question SO WHAT to assess the relative value of heir comments.
NOTE: Click on the colored underlined video title to start viewing each of the following YouTube videos.
Note 4 videos to view:
For a review of the latest hi- tech components found on the Note 4, listen to the following video: The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 – 10 best features
Reference / Galaxy Note features with summary description
6.0-00:00 – Intro
6.0-00:30 – The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 quality build and multiple colors
- Metallic shell and four interesting colors: gold, pink, black and white.
6.0-01:20 – Heart rate monitor sensor
- Provides your pulse rate when you want to check it, and doubles up as the shutter for taking selfies.
6.0-o1:30 – Taking selfies pictures using the heart rate monitor sensor
- Just press the heart rate monitor sensor, on the back of the phone, to take selfies pictures.
6.0-01:42 – Using the home button as a fingerprint sensor
- The home button is also a fingerprint sensor. Using your fingerprint to unlock your phone is an easy-to-use and efficient security feature. You can also use your fingerprint for authorizing on-line payments.
6.0-02:02 – The Samsung Quad HD Super AMOLED high definition display quality
- The Galaxy Note 4 display is a major differentiating factor relative to its competitors. Quad HD Super AMOLED enhances the 2560 x 1440 super high resolutions to produce an image quality unsurpassed in the industry. It is a known fact that Samsung is a world leader in display technology and it shows on the Note 4.
- Watch this video to learn more: Our best display yet.
6.0-02:52 –Unique S Pen functionality and sensitivity
- The S Pen is another major differentiating factor of the Galaxy Note 4. The S Pen provides unique functionality to make a Note phone easier-to-use than any other smartphone on the market. In addition to handwriting, you can use the S Pen to do similar functions as if you were using a mouse on a laptop. The S Pen sensitivity has also been improved to allow for a slimmer or thicker pen mark.
- The S Pen is the most important productivity feature of the Note series. The Note 4 brings new functionality to the S Pen covered in the following video: Samsung Galaxy Note 4: S Pen-Oct.2, 2014
- Also DON’T MISS viewing the following video: Advanced S Pen
- Using the S Pen to get the definition of a word and its translation is covered in the following video: Galaxy Note 4 Best Features – Word Highlight and Translate
6.0-03:50 – High performance processors and play features
- With a 2.7GHz Quad Core multiprocessor coupled with a 1.9GHz Octa Core (1.9GHz Quad + 1.3GHz Quad Core) multiprocessor, the Galaxy Note 4 is a powerhouse in a phone format. This is paramount if you plan on using your Galaxy Note 4 as a standalone computer replacement as suggested in the following articles: 4 – Selecting the right computer product for your needs – Windows 8.1 Hardware Update – 2013-11-11 , 12.6 – Find out why most people should replace their PC with a tablet – 2014-03-27 and 12.7 – Using the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 with Keyboard & Mouse as a laptop replacement-2014-07-22.
- It also makes the Galaxy Note 4 a good gaming play station.
6.0-04:25 – Multi-tasking to run multiple Apps simultaneously
- Multi-tasking which allows you to run multiple apps at the same time is another important differentiating feature of the Galaxy Note phones. Since we have been used to running multiple Apps simultaneously on our Windows PCs, it’s hard to imagine not having this functionality on a smartphone, especially if you use your smartphone for serious work.
- Running live Apps concurrently in popup Windows, similar to running multiple Apps on a PC, is quite useful since we rarely use one App at the time. Having the ability to move them around on the screen or minimize and maximize at will is also paramount on a small screen. This allows you to easily move information from one window to the next which is almost indispensable to be productive.
- Multitasking on the Galaxy Note is a MUST for doing serious computer like work on a smartphone or tablet. The following video covers the Note 4 multitasking functionality in more details: Samsung Galaxy Note 4: Multitasking-Oct.2, 2014
- Popup Apps enhance multitasking by providing more working space when working on a small smartphone screen. Watch the following video to learn more: Galaxy Note 4 Best Features – Pop Up Apps
6.0-05:30 – The rear camera comes with autofocus, image stabilization and a flash
- The Note 4 amazing 16MP resolution rear camera is currently one of the best, if not the best, available on a smartphone.
- Hardware and software stabilization greatly improves picture quality when taking videos on the fly. The same applies for still photos. Such stabilization feature is typically available only on quality cameras.
- A flash is sometime indispensable for taking quality pictures at night.
- It is also quite useful for using your Note as a flashlight at night.
6.0-05:43 – Excellent 3.7MP resolution wide angle front camera
- The front camera has excellent 3.7MP resolution for picture quality and a 90º or 120 º wide angles for selfies pictures.
- Using wide angle selfie mode is like having a wide panoramic mode. Activate the mode and move around to take such pictures.
- Its super simple to take selfies using the heart rate monitor sensor located in the back of the Note 4.
- Watch this video to learn more: Powerful cameras.
- The Note 4 camera/video recorder is, in my opinion, the best you can find on a smartphone and incorporates many features found only on professional cameras and camcorders. Watch the following video to see the resulting quality of the Note 4 camera/video recorder: Epic Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Cinematic Camera Test! [4K]
- Coupled with the Note 4 camera is the Galaxy Studio App. Watch the following video to learn about the Galaxy Studio App impressive functionality on the Note 4: Galaxy Note 4 Best Features – Galaxy Studio
6.0-06:12 – Longer battery life, super-fast charging, ultra-power saving mode and easily changeable battery: ALL greatly extend the Note 4 usable time, so that you never run out of power
- Samsung has reduced the number of parts down by 7.5% which contributes to longer battery life.
- Fast charging allows you to recharge your battery, from zero to 50%, in just 30 minutes. Which other phone can compare? This is super useful when you need a battery boost while traveling. I am impressed of how fast my Note charges.
- Ultra-power saving mode greatly extends the usability of the phone. When down to 10% of battery power left, the Note 4 can last up to a day on ultra-power saving mode. This can save your bacon on such occasions.
- Easy removable back: to replace the battery in a synch and also replace your SIM card when moving from one country to the next.
- You can also insert or replace a micro SD card to add up to 128GB of extra removable storage to the Note 4.
- Watch this video to learn more: All about the battery.
- Running out of battery power is a preoccupation most smartphone users have. Your new Note 4 will never let you down. With easily changeable batteries and the new ultra power saving mode, running out of battery power is a thing of the pass with the new Note 4. Watch the following video to learn more: Galaxy Note 4 Best Features – Ultra Power Saving Mode
6.0-07:00 – The S Health fitness App
- The S Health fitness App is a well-known App you can download. It can be used with the S Gear wrist watch that can also act as a pedometer.
- The Note 4 also has its own pedometer that can sync to your phone or with any of the Samsung pedometer.
6.0-07.33 – Infrared blaster to use your phone as a universal remote
- With the Smart Remote App that comes with the Note 4, you can use your phone as a universal TV remote control that not only can control your TV or stereo, but also your Air Conditioning unit or any other device you can control with an infrared remote.
6.0-08:28 – Closing remarks
- The Galaxy Note 4 is the most compelling smartphone to buy and offering the most in its market segment after the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge.
- The S Pen differentiates it from all its competitors in terms of ease-of-use.
- Finally, powerful processors and multitasking makes the Note 4 an ideal PC replacement device.
Additional Note 4 functions:
- For those proficient with one handed operation of a smartphone, the following video will show the Note 4 one handed operation options: Galaxy Note 4 Best Features – One Handed Operation
- For those requiring high speed internet transfers the new download booster will be much appreciated. Watch the following video to learn more: Galaxy Note 4 Best Features – Download Booster
Finally, 10 hidden features that contribute to the usefulness of the Note 4. These are shown in the following video: 10 Hidden Features of the Galaxy Note 4 You Don’t Know About
Reference / Galaxy Note features with summary description
6.1-00:00 – Intro
6.1-00:30 – Learn how to share your Wi-Fi with other devices
- In Settings SEARCH Wi-Fi to get to Wi-Fi Settings. Select Share Wi-Fi Profile. This will allow you to share a Wi-Fi connection with a friend (that uses a recent Android device) for a specified period of time, while keeping your Wi-Fi connection private.
6.1-02:12 – Learn how to use the S Pen like a mouse for Link preview
- If you are not certain about a certain link that you’ve just received, you can use Link preview to preview the link content without opening it. To do this, just hover the S Pen over that link and you will see what it’s about and a picture, if there is a picture. It will give you the topic and some brief info about this link.
6.1-03:26 – Learn how to use Quick Shortcuts on your keyboard productively
- In Settings, SEARCH Language and input. Open the Samsung keyboard Settings. Under My hot key, you can pre-type a word, an expression or a sentence you often use and assign it to a hot key (1,2,3…). It is also useful for assigning hot keys for your contact info, such as your email address, your home address, and your phone number. This way, while typing a document, you only have to click the corresponding hot key for the info to pop in the document.
6.1-05:21 – Use the Accessibility function to be warned if the baby cries or the doorbell rings while you’re listening to music
- In Settings, SEARCH Accessibility. Under Hearing activate Sound detectors. If you leave you phone near the baby and wear your Galaxy Gear watch, it will warn you if the baby starts crying.
- With Doorbell detector ON it will warn you if the doorbell rings while you’re listening to music, for example.
6.1-06:54 – Activate a Black & White screen and use less battery power
- If this feature is of interest to you, just listen to the video for more info.
6.1-09:00 – Use Popup Apps in Multi windows
- Before you can do this, make sure Multi windows is activated. Scroll down from the top of the screen with two fingers and make sure Multi windows is ON.
- From the Main menu, hold down the Back button and an Apps list will appear on one side of the screen. Select one App and while holding it down slide it to the main window. This App will open when you release it. When you do the same for a second App, the two Apps will share the screen. This ability existed on previous Note versions.
- A new Note 4 feature is called Popup window. You can open more than two Apps at the same time and reduce them to a single dot on the screen. You can then touch an App dot to open an active App at any time. This is quite useful when to do your work you need several Apps to be active and move from one to the other.
6.1-11:21 – Use the Accessibility/Dexterity and Interaction Assistant menu
- In Settings, SEARCH Accessibility. Under Dexterity and Interaction select Assistant menu. When turning ON the Assistant menu you can Enable single tap mode to obtain readily accessible functionality for one handed operation of feature You can also edit these menus to your specific needs.
6.1-13:02 – Use Smooth motion for recording videos
- Once you’ve opened the Camera, enter the Camera Settings, hit the 3 little dots on top and you will see the different types of recording modes. For quick access, just hold the Mode icon you want and drag it to the side. Pick the Video recording mode icon, for example, and move it to the side to activate it. When you tap it, a selection will open. Select Smooth mode for the best quality recordings.
6.1-13:02 – Learn how to download more Modes and Filters for professional quality recordings
- Once in Camera, by pressing the Mode icon followed by Download you can download new modes. For example, Sport shots for action recording and Food shoot for food. Once they are downloaded, you can select the one you want at the time by pressing the Mode icon then activating it. When you’re ready to record, make your selection by pressing Mode and select the Mode you want.
- You can add Filters to photo taking. Select the Filter icon and pick the one that best fits your needs at the time. You can also download additional Filters. You can also download more dictionaries and languages to select from.
6.1-17:00 – Learn how to get the definition of a word and/or translate it into another language
- If you highlight a word with the S Pen holding the side S Pen button, you can get the definition of that word by selecting Dictionary.
- This feature is better covered in a video referenced above.
Finally, FOR AN OVERALL REVIEW of the major features found on the Note 4, view the following video: Sakitech-50+ Tips and Tricks for Samsung Galaxy Note 4-Oct.18, 2014
This concludes the description of the functions presented in this module. You can access the presentation of other functions by accessing other modules in this series. Remember that the reference list of all the functions presented in this series can be found at the end of Module 1.