IMPORTANT: Please make sure to read Part 1 of this series FIRST in order to understand who can benefit from reading this series of articles and how to go about it. To get to Part 1, just click on the following hyperlink: 12.01-Part 1-Introduction on the unparalleled functionality of the Samsung Galaxy Note products-2014-11-30
What will you learn reading this article?
The Galaxy Note functions and settings video, presented and documented below, covers a variety of easy-to-use and productive functions listed below.
- Unlock the screen using your signature
- Post a personal message on the lock screen
- Use Easy Mode to make the phone trivial to use
- Use Samsung Knox for secure corporate access
- Disable annoying notifications for specific Apps
- Use Contact App scrolling to easily find a contact
- Use Air Gestures with Gallery to navigate while viewing photos
- Show/Hide content in gallery
- Add Photo Notes to pictures to remember people and events
- Create photo Collage artistry
- Lock Video screen for uninterrupted viewing
- Use Safety Assistance for emergency situations
- Increase Screen Sensitivity to operate while wearing gloves
- Use any micro-USB cable
- Connect a pen drive using a micro-USB cable
- Connect a full size keyboard and a mouse
Part 3 on the unparalleled functionality of the Samsung Galaxy Note
This article is Part 3 of the Samsung Galaxy Note products functionality series’. Each Part describes a different set of functions, so that the whole series covers most of the important functionality available.
PLEASE NOTE: the remarks from this point up to the start of the video are the same for Part 2 to 7. Therefore, if you just read one of these articles and remember the cautionary remarks that follow, you can skip reading them again and go directly to viewing the video.
There are different ways of viewing the following video:
- TO GET AN OVERVIEW of the different functions presented and to judge, for yourself, how important these powerful easy-to-use functions are, I recommend that you get a drink, sit back comfortably and view sequentially ALL the videos in the series from beginning to end.
- TO LEARN the functions presented: view the video, function by function, until you understand each one. Use the title, the description and the “Reference” column to move the cursor to each specific function you want to learn and/or implement.
- TO REFRESH YOUR UNDERSTANDING of specific functions. If you happen to forget how to use a specific function and need to refresh your understanding: use the title, the description and the “Reference” column to move the cursor to the specific function you want to refresh your understanding of.
VIDEO NAVIGATION INSTRUCTIONS: Below you will find: (1) the list of the Galaxy Note features presented in this video along with (2) the “Reference” location of each function presented (the first number refers to the video Part #, followed by the elapse time on the video) and, (3) the description of how relevant this feature is and why use it. Use the elapse time “Reference” to control the video meter and move the cursor to the beginning of the description of the function you want to watch. The function descriptions on this specific video are for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 operating under Android KitKat and customized and enhanced by Samsung. Most of the functions demonstrated on this video are available, with small variations, on all the following Samsung Galaxy Note models: Note 1, Note II, Note 3, Note 3 Neo, Note 4, Note Edge, Note 8.0, Note 10.1, Note 10.1/2104 Edition, Note Pro 12.2, running the latest Android version available. NOTE: Certain earlier Samsung Galaxy Note models, such as the Note 1 and II, and certain tablets do not offer all the functions presented here. You will notice this if the settings parameters presented here do not display on your Note screen. Make sure that all the available settings parameters are activated before concluding that a function is not available. FURTHERMORE: it would seem that some features offered by Samsung are not supported by my phone provider, and that would be why some menu items do not show up on my Settings menus. This is something I have to pursue with my phone provider. Finally, make sure to install Android Lollypop version 5 that should be available shortly for download on recent Note products.
- Please note that the Settings menus may vary from one Samsung Note Android version to the next AND from one Samsung Note model to the next.
- Also know that there is a very useful Settings Search function available when you first enter Settings.
- When you start typing or handwriting a Search, a scrolling selection list will appear.
- Select the item that you’re looking for when it first appears in the scrollable list. Note that you only need to type or handwrite until you see what you are looking for appear and select it.
- I strongly suggest that you mostly use this very useful Settings Search function instead of navigating the Settings menus, as you may see done on the videos by experienced Note users. NOTE: this Settings Search function does not always find the setting you may be looking for, mostly if it involves an add-on like the Google keyboard, for example. In such cases you have to navigate the Search the traditional way.
- Therefore, to make things simple, I will mostly use the Settings Search function in this series of articles.
- Following the word SEARCH, in capital letters, I will write the text to search, in italic, for example: pen detection. Therefore, the expression will look like this: SEARCH pen detection.
After searching the internet, I was lucky enough to locate outstanding videos done by an India specialist and efficient presenter: Rohit Khurana who works for Intellect Digest and lives in Delhi, India. Click on the following video title to start the YouTube video produced by: Intellect Digest and published on Oct 29, 2013. Part 3 – Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Most Useful And Less Known (16) Features
Reference / Galaxy Note features with summary description
3-00:00 – Intro
3-00:20 – Unlock the screen using your signature
- IMPORTANT: Not locking your device screen leaves it vulnerable for anyone to do whatever they want if you left it unattended they found it. There are different security levels that you can implement on your Note. They are all accessible using the settings screens showed in the video. Signature lock screen settings shown here is quite secured but requires your S Pen every time you want to unlock your device. I personally use Pin settings, which uses a four number pin to unlock the screen. I find it quite satisfactory for every day security. On a trip outside the country, signature lock screen setting is more secure and appropriate. One thing is sure: don’t leave your device screen unlocked. If you don’t, you will be very sorry if you lose your device.
3-01:10 – Post a personal message on the lock screen
- This may be quite useful if you ever lose your Note and an honest person finds it. In my case, I have displayed my name and home phone number in case an honest person found it and wanted to find the owner. This info always shows on your device even if your screen is locked. You can personalize your lock screen as you wish. Personally, I show the picture of my fishing boat.
3-01:55 – Use Easy Mode to make the phone trivial to use
- This is a very useful feature if you are new to a Note phone and want to learn slowly or if you would want to lend your Note to someone unfamiliar with the extensive functionality of a Note device. Just activate Easy Mode and your Note will transform itself into a very simple phone to use by almost anyone who knows little about smartphones.
3-02:42 – Use Samsung Knox for secure corporate access
- This is a very important function for anyone who works for a company that has strict security practices and limits access to its information systems. Samsung Knox will add an additional level of security to address such an issue.
3-03:20 – Disable annoying notifications for specific Apps
- If you want to stop annoying apps from bugging you with notifications, the disabling notification feature on the Note is considered the best in the industry. Just follow the video instructions to disable notifications for specific apps. NOTE: you will notice that using the same screen to disable notification, you can also “Uninstall” the app or move it to and from your SD card.
3-03:40 – Use Contact App scrolling to easily find a contact
- Open Contacts and select Contacts on the top right of the screen. Slide your finger or the S Pen on the alphabet on the right side. Pick the first letter. Then, move to the left and select a second letter from only the letters that match the available names that appear on the screen.
- In terms of ease-of-use, it is not an original way to find a contact in your contact list.
- Pick a Contact and move your finger to the right to call that Contact, or move to the left to send a SMS message.
- You can also make a manual search with the S Pen, the keyboard or with your voice, by activating the desired mode. You choose the mode.
- You can also search by Favorites or Groups, which I use a lot.
3-04:12 – Use Air Gestures with Gallery to navigate while viewing photos
- Air gesture is a very innovative way of navigating through your pictures and videos. A child would learn that in seconds. This mode must be activated in Settings in order to use it: Settings SEARCH Air gesture.
3-04:40 – Show/Hide content in gallery
- Show/Hide content in Gallery is very useful and easy to change. Let say you have access to all your pictures and videos stored on Dropbox for example but you want to limit your viewing to only the pictures that are stored on your device to make it easier to show only the ones stored on your device.
- You can decide what to show or hide at any one time by: opening Gallery and pressing the Menu key, pick Content to display and tick your choices.
3-05:15 – Add Photo Notes to pictures to remember people and events
- How would you like, so that you don’t forget, to write the names of the people on a picture and/or the place and date? The Photo Note feature and the S Pen make this very easy, as demonstrated. See how easy it is to access these notes on a picture.
3-05:40 – Create photo Collage artistry
- If you feel artistic and want to experiment with pictures, go to Collage and let your creativity do the rest as demonstrated in the video. Immediately after you’re done you can share your work with friends and family as showed.
3-06:27 – Lock Video screen for uninterrupted viewing
- If you want to show a video for a customer presentation for example, and do not want to accidentally interrupt the video, you can Lock Video screen as demonstrated using the ON/OFF/Lock button.
3-07:10 – Use Safety Assistance for emergency situations
- Safety Assistance under “System.” Here you’ll see a relatively simple set of options to choose from — Emergency Mode, Geo News, Send Help Messages and Manage Primary Contacts.
- In order to be prepared, in case an accident would trap you with limited mobility or if you were attacked and needed to contact for help in an instant, you can preset your Note, using Safety Assistance, to have messages with photos sent to 4 contacts to inform them of you precarious situation. In such rare but life threatening situations, by pressing together the UP and DOWN volume keys on your Note will trigger the taking of both a front and back photos and the sending of preset instructions along with the photos to 4 persons of your choice, with the hope that they will take immediate action to assist you. View the following video to learn about more distress situation functions on your Note: How to use Safety Assistance features.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: it would seem that some features offered by Samsung are not supported by my phone provider, and that would be why some menu items do not show up on my Settings menus. This is what’s happening to me for the function described above. This is something I have to pursue with my phone provider.
3-08:14 – Increase Screen Sensitivity to operate while wearing gloves
- In the winter or other occasions where you would where gloves and still need to be able to use your Note, you can increase the sensitivity of your Note so that you can easily operate it with gloves. Just go to Settings SEARCH Increase touch sensitivity and activate it.
3-08:32 – Use any micro-USB cable
- Contrary to certain products companies who force clients to buy their expensive connector cables, and you all know who I am talking about, you can use a standard low cost micro USB to USB cable to charge or connect your Note to other devices.
3-09:00 – Connect a pen drive using a micro-USB cable
- You can also connect a pen drive to access or transfer files, photos, music and/or videos.
3-09:35 – Connect a full size keyboard and a mouse
- As presented in a several articles on this web site, you may want to connect a variety of devices to your Note. This capability becomes very useful to connect a mouse and/or a keyboard and a large display to productively accomplish Office type work on your Note. This is paramount if you want to use your Note as your single computers as suggested in the following articles: 4 – Selecting the right computer product for your needs – Windows 8.1 Hardware Update – 2013-11-11 , 12.6 – Find out why most people should replace their PC with a tablet – 2014-03-27 and 12.7 – Using the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 with Keyboard & Mouse as a laptop replacement-2014-07-22.
This concludes the description of the functions presented in this module. You can access the presentation of other functions by accessing other modules in this series. Remember that the reference list of all the functions presented in this series can be found at the end of Module 1.