Navigation summary – Please consult other reference material for more detailed explanations.
Basic navigation moves
- Starting an App. Click on a tile.
- Going to Windows 7 style. Click on the Desktop App (Bottom left tile)
- Closing a single App. Move the mouse to the top of the screen. The pointer should turn into a hand icon. Left Click and drag downward to the bottom of the screen. When it turns opaque, release the mouse to close it.
- Closing multiple Apps. Move the mouse to the upper left corner and then lower it, keeping the left edge to display the open applications side bar. Right-Click on the App to close and select “Close”. The side bar will remain open unless you move the mouse away. Repeat the previous instructions to close other Apps. To Close the App Manager by moving the mouse away.
- Switching Apps. Move the mouse to the lower left corner. Each Click will move to the next App until you get the one you want.
Customizing the Start Screen
- Moving tiles. Click & Hold the left mouse button and Drag the tile to the desired location and release it.
- Resizing tiles. Right Click on the tile to display the context menu. A tick will show on the tile. Chose the size at the bottom.
- Removing tiles. Right Click on the tile to display the context menu. A tick will show on the tile. Chose the size at the bottom. You can choose “Unpin from the Start” or “Uninstall”.
- Adding new tiles. Right Click on an empty space on the Start menu. Click on the “All Apps” icon. Right Click on the one to act on. Click on the wanted action.
- Creating new tile blocks. Left Click and Hold on a tile you want in a new block. Move it between blocks until you see a dividing line appear. Release and the App will appear in the new block.
- Moving tile blocks. Move the mouse and Click on the (-) sign in the bottom right corner. Then Click & Hold a Block to move and release it where you want. To return to the normal Start screen just Click on an empty part of the screen.
- Administrative tools. Open the Charms menu and choose “Settings”.
Using the Charms menu
- Display the Charms menu. Move the mouse to the upper or lower right corner.
- Charms – Search. Click “Search”. Select the type of items to search on. Type into the search box. Pick the item you are looking for.
- Charms – Share. Can only be used with an item you have already found and want to share.
- Charms – Start. Click to open the Start menu.
- Charms – Devices. To configure a second screen, …
- Charms – Settings. To view or connect to available Wi-Fi, adjust volume and brightness, change keyboard language, to hide notifications,…
“Snapping Applications” – Seeing two apps at the same time
- Move the mouse to the lower left corner and Click the Start icon when it appears, then locate and Click the App to open.
- Again, Move the mouse to the lower left corner and Click the Start icon when it appears, then locate and Click the other App to open.
- To Snap the first App to the display, Move the mouse to the upper left corner and then lower it, keeping the left edge to display the open applications side bar. Click and Drag the App off the side bar. You will see the side bar disappear and a space open, release the mouse button and the App will “Snap” itself into place.
- To move Snapped Apps, move the mouse on top of the screen and it should change into a hand. Click and hold the left mouse button, the App will shrink to a thumbnail. You can now drag it to either side of the screen you want it to be then release the mouse button.
- Resizing Snapped Apps. Move the center line with the mouse.
- Switching Snapped Apps. Move the mouse to the upper left corner to show the opened Apps or the lower left corner to open another App. Then, Click on the App you want to Switch in.
- Tap. Same action as a simple mouse Click to select, start,…
- Pinch & Stretch. To zoom in or out.
- Press & Hold. Same action as a mouse Right Click to select, start,…
- Slide. To scroll the screen left or right, up or down.
- Switching Apps. Swipe the finger quickly from the left edge of the screen. This will switch to the next App in line.
- Snapping Apps. Swipe the finger slowly from the left edge keeping contact on the screen. This will switch to the next App in line. Once you see the App thumbnail, move your finger off the screen and the App should Snap into place on the left.
- Resizing Snapped area. Drag the dividing line.
- Opening Apps side bar. Swipe finger quickly from the left of the screen, then back again without lifting the finger. Once the Snap bar opens, you can tap an App to open it, tap and drag to snap into position, or tap the Start icon at the bottom.
- Opening the Charms menu. Swipe from the right side of the screen. Tap to select the desired option.
- Opening the Context menu. Swipe from the bottom or top of the screen.