The main themes of the personal computing technology evolution (PCs, tablets, smart phones, smart TVs, etc.) are:
- INTEGRATION of all information technologies components into a single product.
- PORTABILITY, the availability of all functions to satisfy everyone’s needs on a mobile device (smart phone and tablet), with access from anywhere and at any time.
- MINIATURIZATION, powerful functionality on tiny circuits.
- DATA INDEPENDANCE from devices, meaning no matter which device you use, you do not need to take action to keep data synchronized from one device to another. This can be achieved using the Cloud and corporate servers. In addition, many people can now work together on shared documents.
- “PAPERLESS”, the elimination of paper: everything digital. An example: The Apple Company is already paperless.
Integration, portability and miniaturization
The integration of various technologies is made by the manufacturers: Apple, Samsung, etc. I will use the Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 as an example of a device which is, in my opinion, at the forefront of the smart phone/tablet technology. Here are some of the features found on this PORTABLE device. My definition of a portable device is one that fits in a men pants or vest pocket, or a women small purse. In summary:
- Unlocked (using interchangeable SIM cards) 3G GSM multi-frequency cellular telephony or WiFi, for personal or conference calls and live image calls Skype style (with high quality cameras, front / rear);
- Internet access at all times (cellular or WiFi), GPRS communications;
- 5.3 inches HD quality color display,
- access to emails, electronic calendar, Google search, …;
- notepad, to do lists, annotate documents, drawings by hand;
- enter characters using a keyboard or handwrite directly on the screen and draw on the screen by hand or using the S Pen;
- quality camera (8MP) for photos and HD videos;
- GPS everywhere, even in buildings, aGPS and Sat GPS, and Google Maps and directions;
- Connection to an HD TV or projector for presentations;
- Connection with PC via WiFi, Bluetooth or USB;
- 32Gb micro SD card for data storage and backups;
- Stereo music, FM radio, MP3 and MP4 players;
- Document editor for Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF;
- Voice command recognition and voice recording;
The detail list of features is available at the Samsung web site.
Here is a picture of some of the devices a single Samsung Galaxy Note smart-phone can replace (Integration).
Data Independence, Cloud and Paperless
Facing the challenge of having desktop computers in different cities, one laptop and an intelligent mobile phone, plus my wife’s iPad2, how do I make sure I always work on the latest version of my data no matter which device I use without having to constantly synchronize my data between devices? The solution is the CLOUD. To learn more about the Cloud, please read the documents talking about the Cloud in this collection.
In short, data independence is achieved by using Cloud services and eliminates the concern of data synchronization. It allows us to work with confidence on the latest version of our data.
1. Using notes that can be entered by hand with a special pen directly on the screen of a tablet like phone like the Samsung Galaxy Note.
2. With photos of documents that can be “scanned” using the functions of the phone / tablet camera.
3. Using Evernote to capture the relevant Web pages and / or relevant elements of just about anything that might be of interest in a combination of formats that is most appropriate at the time (photo, text annotation, voice, etc.).
By just using this set of technologies, you can eliminate the need for paper and be able to access your information where you are and at all times.
You will find more information on the Samsung Galaxy Note mentioned above, which provides the functionality to facilitate the implementation of a “Paperless” environment, in other documents of this collection and the Samsung Note collection.